Sunday, October 25, 2009

"I Hate Myself for Loving You?"


Okay, maybe I'm just too ignorant of 80s music, but I was unaware of the 1988 Joan Jett and the Blackhearts song "I Hate Myself for Loving You," at least until my XM 80s channel just played it. I know this song as the Sunday Night Football theme, sung not by an aging Joan Jett but by some blonde in a tight black Joan Jett-style thing.


Right? Was this just brutally obvious, such that any non-physicist with normal pop-cultural literacy would have known this? And if the SNF theme IS based on a 1988 Joan Jett song, does that mean that my generation is taking over the world? Will we soon see Sting and Duran Duran replacing Paul McCartney and the Rolling Stones on ads for retirement funds and cholesterol-lowering medication?
 
This is what the Nachoman ponders as he waits for baseball to resume.  Too bad they didn't bother to schedule an ALCS game Friday night, when the weather was lovely... now it's likely the World Series will last into January.
 
GCJ

No comments: