Thursday, April 10, 2008

Mario's miracle -- by the Ribbie Reporter

I'm a huge Kansas and Kansas City fan. That's why I go by the Ribbie Reporter (because of KC's wonderful BBQ ribs). Here is a short synopsis of Monday night, with a much lengthier post of my thoughts included right below it. This is the body of an e-mail I sent to the Nachoman.

I was truly crushed at the thought that we'd let the game get away, only to have us launch this furious comeback. I've seen these comebacks before. They never work. So I was just sitting there, morosely watching this futile attempt at a rally. And then, lo and behold, the rims closed for Memphis, the shots fell for us, and we had a chance to tie the game with 10 seconds remaining and the ball in our hands. But I'd seen this before, in 1997 and 2003. The comeback always falls just short. But this year, on the 20th anniversary of Danny and the Miracles (the Burnt End Bomber was at that game, while I, at 18 months, supposedly watched part of the game at home with my mom), the comeback worked. The shot went through. This time it was Mario's Miracle. And now we're the champs.

No comments: